My Career Struggles and Beyond


For over 10 years ever since finishing graduation back in 2006, I did not have a stable job nor a decent opportunity to prove myself. A lot of aspiring talent won’t be able to handle one bad manager. However, I had to go through three of them and importantly sustain the phase beyond their cusp.

For a lot of people getting the right opportunity was a challenge. In my case getting an opportunity itself was a challenge, the initial few years after graduation fizzled out without any noteworthy job roles. Since my career was not even getting a kickstart, I had opted to do my masters in finance in not so recognized institution in Mumbai.

Phase 1

Post completion of my masters, I was already in my mid 20’s, I was offered the role of Business Analyst and worked under a boss who was from IIM Bangalore. Clearly, he was not impressed with me but I was more than willing to put in the required level of hard work and scale up. In just about 7 or 8 months in the job, he had ripped me apart in email copying my entire workplace ecosystem (including his boss) and openly questioned by competence to accomplish a given task.

I really felt completely trashed on the ground. The same conversation in private was something I would have taken in a constructive mindset but this public censure was beyond my absorption capacity.

This event constantly played out in mind for the next 1 month and eventually led to my resignation in just 10 months time. Purely from a career standpoint, this was suicide.

I did not get a decent job for the next 4 years and did hustle around selling insurance policies for a bank. I felt stuck in a box and was not able to withstand this intellectually non-progressive work like selling insurance.

I quit that job as well and felt completely useless. It drove me to a point of serious depression and a desireless state of not even wanting to live. There were days when I used to sleep for 18 hours and not even want to get up. For all good reasons, I felt my days were up.

Phase 2

At the age of 30, I decided to pursue a degree in data science much to the anguish of my elder brother who clearly questioned my aptitude to take such a course and build a career. As an act of open mockery, my classmates who were on an average 6 to 7 years younger, preferred call me uncle rather than my name. To justify their act, there were even a few professors younger than me. However, I was determined to cut the noise out and take one step at a time.

At the end of the course, I was given just 3 interview opportunities to get a job as in other organization interviews, my profile was rejected straightaway.

In the first TCS interview, I couldn’t go beyond first round.

Given my lack of opportunities, I had expended an enormous amount of effort to clear the second interview which was with Infosys. There were 3 rounds and the panel choose to drill me for a period of 4 hours in total. Along with one more of my colleague, I was given a positive sign of getting an offer letter.

However, the HR compliance team had a different toast for me. They reviewed all my mark certificates and told me that since my overall 12th grade percent was 2% below the cut off (68% vs 66%), my candidature was being rejected.  

Given my circumstances, this was a heavy blow and left wondering how many more failures to be faced without any sign of progress.

The third company happened to be a start-up which I finally cleared. The catch being, I was offered a dashboard report generation job instead of data modelling role. Given my desperation, I took up the job without any fuzz.

Phase 3

To my nightmare, it happened to be a copy paste task of getting all the data within certain headers onto an excel and copy them into a presentation. Given the quantum of reports to be generated and the error free expectation, the hours of effort was not less than 12 hours every day. With very strict deadlines, I had even come on Sunday to complete the work.

During the course of this engagement and the high-pressure nature of the ecosystem, I had developed a friction with my reporting manager. I had no clue that he had intensions to screw my case and the credulous nature of mine did go against me.

In just 7 months, I was fired and there was a restriction imposed to even allow me in the very same office I had worked my ass off. I was left wondering, when did I become a thief?

This was a moment when I was literally on my knees and offered to work for free in return to build my career experience. As far as the management was concerned, I don’t fit into their scheme of things anymore.

At 31 years of age, I got fired and to spice up, just got married.

Phase 4

In about a month’s time, I got a breakthrough into an IT organization on a sales roles. As it turns out to be, this happened to be the first time I had spent close to 3 years in an organization.

Sales is all about revenue that the resource is able to get into system. With that context, let me throw some light on the numbers.

·         Revenue generated in 3 years - INR 3.6 crore

·        As cash outflow (in terms of compensation) as a percentage of revenue – 4.6%

I don’t have to justify were I stood, the numbers paint the story by themselves. This time I was clearly indicated by my manager that he has no intent of promoting me or give me better geographies or marquee account to handle. Of course, a commensurate compensation was not even in the picture.

I had painfully quit but ensured that I left with the positive note. The CEO responded saying that he acknowledges my contribution and asked me to be in touch.

Phase 5

4 years later I had joined the same organization as a director at 4 times the compensation I had received back in 2017.

As I always believe, the story has just begun!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The trip to Delhi (5th - 11th Aug 2007)

Start with why – Simon Sinek – Review

CFA preparation guidelines for level 1